To get you into the Christmas mood here is a yummy recipe perfect for the Christmas season. It is very common for families in North America to have traditions of making these. So my lovely Brazilians now you can join in on the North Amercian tradition. They are soft and chewy gingerbread men that taste and smell like Christmas.
2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cloves (ground)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup butter (unsalted)
1/2 cup sugar (white or brown)
1/2 cup molasses
- Sift together flour, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, salt and baking soda then set aside for later
- In another bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, and egg. The texture should be creamy and fluffy
- Add molasses and mix well
- Stir in the flour mixture little by little until smooth and one color
- With your hands shape the dough into a ball and wrap in wax paper. Leave it in the fridge for at least 2 hours
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- After the 2 hours or more, divide the dough into two halves, returning the one half to the refrigerater.
- Spread some flour on the table you are using and on your rolling pin.
- roll out the dough until it is 1/8 inch thick (you may have to keep adding some flour so it doesnt stick)
- Use your cookies cutters to cut out the cookies.
- With the extra dough roll it up again and flatten it, again cutting with the cookie cutter
- Place on a cookie sheet and put in the oven
- Depending on your oven it should take 8-10 min for them to be lightly browned
- Let them cool for an our, then you are free to decorate
2 cups sifted icing sugar
2 1/2 milk
- Mix together the icing sugar and milk making a thick icing. (you may have to keep adding icing sugar or milk until you have the right texture)
- Put the icing in a bag
- Cut a very small hole in one of the corners, this allows you to make small designs
- Start decorating! you can use chocolate m&m`s, sprinkles, cocunut flakes, etc whatever your heart desires.